Posted on: 14 February 2017Share
A slip and fall accident is a type of personal injury case that occurs when a person trips and falls on someone else's property. The owner of a property, whether it's a grocery store or house, is expected to keep the premises reasonably safe for other people. If the property owner fails to do this and another person gets hurt, he or she may be held legally responsible.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
People in the United States get injured in slip and fall accidents every day. While some of the accidents result in just minor bruises, others may cause concussions and other serious injuries. Here are some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents:
- Weather Conditions: Certain weather conditions, like snow and ice, can lead to slip and fall accidents. For example, if a homeowner didn't put salt on his or her icy sidewalk during the winter and another person slips and falls on the ice, the homeowner can be held liable for the person's injuries. While it's not possible to control the weather, it is possible to prepare for it and take the proper precautions. After a snowstorm, all property owners should remember to salt their sidewalks to prevent accidents.
- Improper Footwear: Slip and fall accidents can also occur from improper footwear. If you wear shoes that don't offer the proper traction, you are more likely to slip and fall at home and in public places.
- Wet Surfaces: Another common cause of slip and fall accidents is wet surfaces. For example, if a grocery store worker spills milk or pasta sauce on the floors and doesn't clean it up immediately, other people can slip and fall on it. It's vital for owners of properties to ensure their floors are dry at all times. If there is a spill on the floor and it hasn't been cleaned up yet, there should be a warning sign.
- Damaged Floors : Whether it's loose floor tiles or torn carpets, damaged floors may lead to slip and fall accidents. When a person walks on a damaged floor, his or her weight can get shifted and lead to a fall.
Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident, it's in your best interest to speak to a reputable personal injury attorney as soon as possible. While you can choose to file a claim by yourself, you are more likely to get favorable results with an attorney. Here are some of the benefits of hiring a personal injury attorney:
- An Attorney Knows the Value of Your Claim: If you don't have a legal background, you might not know how much your slip and fall accident case is truly worth, and you might end up accepting an offer that is too low. A skilled personal injury attorney will evaluate the severity of your injury and the type of pain and suffering you've gone through. Then, he or she can give you a realistic value for your claim. Your attorney won't let the insurance adjuster offer you an unfair compensation amount.
- An Attorney Can Increase Your Chances of Winning: The most important benefit of hiring a personal injury attorney is that he or she can improve your odds of winning your lawsuit. He or she will know the type of evidence the court needs to see and help you obtain it. Your lawyer will work hard to build a strong case for you and convince the court that you deserve compensation for your injuries.
Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations, so set up a meeting with one today.