Getting Bullied At Work

Posted on: 31 March 2017


Adult bullying can be just as hurtful as when it happened as a child. However, getting bullied in during adulthood can be even worse when it happens at your workplace. If you have become uncomfortable with going to work on a regular basis because one of your coworkers has been bullying you, it is in your best interest to handle the situation as soon as possible. Such a situation can have a negative effect on your life in numerous ways if you don't put an end to it. This article has suggestions that can help you improve the situation that you are in without allowing the other party to get away with his or her bullying.

Inform Your Employer About the Other Party

The first step to handling the situation with your bully should be to inform your employer about what has been going on. You should especially explain that your bully is the reason you have been not been coming to work sometimes. If you have an employer who is concerned about what you are going through, he or she will likely observe the bully for a while to confirm your accusations. The other party might end up losing his or her job. If your employer does not take any action against the other party, you might be able to file a complaint with someone higher up in the company.

Undergo Counseling if You Need the Assistance

If your bully has caused you a large amount of emotional distress, you might want to seek help from a counselor. Your situation has already interfered with your desire to want to work on a regular basis, so you don't want it to cause you to quit working altogether. A counselor can listen to you as you explain why your bully is having such a big effect on you. It is possible that the counselor will discover underlying issues that you need to work on overcoming. Going to a counselor can basically give you the positivity that you need to avoid falling into a deep state of depression.

File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against

Depending on how the other party has been bullying you, it is possible that you can file a personal injury lawsuit against him or her. For instance, if he or she makes threats and spreads false rumors against you, it is likely that you have a case. All you have to do is hire a personal injury lawyer to help you get the lawsuit going. The lawyer can assist with gathering evidence and investigating the character of the other party. You might even be able to sue the other party for having to undergo counseling, missing work, and other things that led to you having to spend or lose money.